The National Oceanic Atmospheric Association (NOAA) predicts a “very active” 2006 hurricane season. And, if you’re traveling to Florida, the Gulf Coast, or the Caribbean, you need to take precautions before and during your vacation. Here are a few tips (courtesy of USA Today) to consider if you’re traveling during hurricane season.
1. Check in with the National Hurricane Center (NHC) when planning a trip to a potential hurricane area.
2. Provide hotel contact information to family members and employers.
3. Consider a satellite phone to provide reliable communication under all conditions.
4. If caught during a hurricane, check in hotel for instructions or evacuation orders.
5. Purchase a day’s worth of non-perishable food and water.
6. Get as far inland as possible.
7. Stay inside and do not drive during the storm.
Read the entire article here.