I’ve dug into deep dish pizza in Chicago, folded a slice of pie sideways in New York, and enjoyed lukewarm foccacio pizza in Florence. Now, I’ve tasted the ultra thin crust gourmet pies at Pizzaria Picco and I loved them. This newish restaurant on storied Magnolia Avenue, next to its Restaurant Picco, is a great find… and a new favorite Marin County venue for pizza.
You can sit at the wraparound counter that accommodates eight diners, grab one of the half-dozen tables outside, or get it to go. Warning: The brick wood-buring oven cooks these pizzas paper thin in 60 to 90 seconds, so they don’t stay warm long. But they’re so deliciously tasty, you won’t have them around long, anyway. You can also order them flash frozen and vacuum packed for warming up at home.
My wife, daughter, mother and I shared a few organic salads: the La Quercia Proscuitto Americano and the Baby Lettuces with Organic Strawberries, Greek Feta, Marcona Almonds and Roasted Pepper Viniagrette. Wow! Great flavors and textures.
Then, we choose the Trek Pizza (Organic Cherry Tomatoes, Basil, Italian Buffalo Mozzarella and Parmesan) and the Seven (Oyster Mushrooms, Mozzarella, Parmesan, Perorino , Garlic and Oregano). Both were served as 12″ pies, bubbling hot from the oven, but not too hot to eat. Again, both were exquisite.
Other pizza choices include:
• Marinara (Tomatoes, Oregano, Garlic and De Padova Extra Virgin Olive Oil, • Margherita (Tomatoes, Basil, Mozzarella, Parmesan and De Padova EVOO),
• Marin (Roasted Garlic, Young Organic Potatoes, Mozzarella, Parmesan and Rosemary Oil),
• Della Santa (Broccoli de Ciccio, Cherry Tomatoes, Seasonal Onions, Roasted Garlic and Mozzarella),
• Ibis (Oregon Bay Shrimp, Picco Pancetta, Roasted Peppers, Arugula Pesto, Mozzarella, and Basl),
• Specialized (Pepperoni and House Made Sausage, Tomatoes, Mozzarella, and Basil), and
• Pizza of the Day, which changes daily.
IMPORTANT NEWS FLASH: Save room for dessert, because the Straus Dairy soft serve here is spectacular and organic! In fact, we’ve dined next door twice and walked over here for the artisan Scharffen Berger Vanilla Bean, Chocolate or Swirl, with either Dark Caramel Sauce, Seasonal Fruit, Dipped in an El Rey Chocolate Shell, with El Rey Hot Fudge, or with Da Vero EVOO and Sea Salt. The latter is definitely worth a try because it’s such a succulent combination of flavors.
A: 316 Magnolia Avenue Larkspur, CA 94939
Hours: 5pm to 9pm Monday to Thursday; 5pm to 10pm Friday; 12pm to 10pm Saturday 12pm to 9pm Sunday