There’s a guy on Travel Channel cable TV who calls himself Dr. Beach. His real name is Dr. Stephen P. Leatherman; he’s known as the world’s top “beachologist.”
Every year, Dr. Beach publishes his list of America’s Best Beaches. He just named a small beach on the west side of Maui as the very best of the best. Two other Hawaiian locales were also in the Top 10, as were two each in Florida and New York. Here’s his list –– how many have you seen, waded into, or even heard of?
1) Fleming Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii – National Winner
2) Caladesi Island State Park, Dunedin, Florida
3) Ocracoke Island, Outer Banks, North Carolina
4) Coopers Beach, Southampton, New York
5) Hanalei Bay, Kauai, Hawaii
6) Main Beach, East Hampton, New York
7) Coast Guard Beach, Cape Cod, Massachusetts
8) Coronado Beach, San Diego, California
9) Hamoa Beach, Maui, Hawaii
10) Barefoot Beach Park, Bonita Springs, Florida.
To view photos of most of these beaches, visit www.drbeach.org, then click “Top Beaches List” on the left side.